We endeavor to bring the works of Shakespeare, as well as his life and times, primarily to the Orcas Island Community and potentially elsewhere in San Juan County, WA, by providing educational resources, lectures, classes and theatrical performances, helping the members of the community sustain a healthy interest in, if not instill a new passion for, literature and theater arts.
Our mission goals may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Building a library of bibliographic material which will be freely available to the public.
- Providing short performances of scenes/sketches and educational presentations at and for the benefit of local schools. (As much as possible these will be programmed to harmonize with the syllabi of literature, drama, music or art classes taking advantage of a natural synergy.)
- Providing short performances of scenes/sketches and educational presentations periodically at the public library.
- Presenting complete plays, related scenes and other stage entertainment at no cost to the public, quarterly or semi-annually in an appropriate indoor venue and/or at least once each summer on the Eastsound Village Green by means of an annual festival.
- Cooperating/co-sponsoring events with other non-profit organizations: we hope to work with The Public Library, The Friends of the Orcas Island Library, the Actors Theater, the Orcas Center, and The Funhouse, to name a few.
Our first year of development is mostly organizational. Our five-year plan under consideration includes an administration office, research library & reading room, class room/small auditorium, and gift shop of OISS and other Shakespearean merchandise to raise funds.